Monday, April 14, 2014

Yes...I am a gardening nerd...

Ok...I admit it...I am a gardening nerd. My friend teased me that I was having a nerdgasm when I noticed a new crop had sprouted and actually started growing in my garden. I have never had this in my garden...so to say I am/was excited is an understatement. 

If you have seen the movie The Ugly Truth with Katherine Heigl then you will have an idea of the goofy dance and squeel that I did! 

I had an MMA fan girl moment today as well where my favorite fighter responded to a comment of mine and liked my comment...my hubby said he is surprised I didn't swoon...what can I say, we all have our hobbies and likes, right? ;) 
 
Anyways, I wanted to share my excitement with the world. This year I got 2 year old asparagus crowns as part of a bulk buy....yes...I even buy my plants in bulk... I got them for $0.25/crown! So anyways,  I took my big barrels (the ones formerly used for tomato plants and one that I had used for peppers in the past) and planted all of my crowns in them. All told I have 3 huge barrels full of asparagus coming my way every year for the next 15-20 years! So exciting! Here's the best part....you can fit 6 crowns in 1 square foot of space! They just need a minimum of 12" depth and they are happy as clams. You add in that each crown can produce up to half a pound of asparagus and I am going to save a ton by not having to buy it at the farmers market!

I will say this...don't try this from a seed if you have the option to get crowns as they do not produce for 3 years...that is a long time for a maybe in a home garden...fork out the extra for the crowns. It is completely worth it! Also, they absolutely love the soil mix that I have recommended in my Gardening for Dummies post so if you haven't seen it, go check that post out!

Beautiful little asparagus spear in my planter....it makes me happy!
This is in a second planter, I found more in the 3rd planter but didn't take pictures.
This is another spear peaking it's head out of the earth. I actually had to water today because it has been so dry and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment