Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring has Sprung!

I could just sing seeing all this beautiful sunshine here in the NW! I really do live in a beautiful part of the US. With spring in the air, I am now starting to plan out my garden, and while I am doing that, I figured I should ask.

What questions do you have about organic gardening?

Companion planting?

 Square Foot Gardening?

 Please, fire away and that way I can do a blog post designated to each one!

For those out there who think "I don't have any space, I couldn't grow anything." to you I say...I thought so too once upon a time. You can grow almost ANYTHING in a container if you are limited on space, you just need sunshine for several hours a day to do it!

If you think "It would take too much work to prep the ground and I don't have the tools." I have solutions for that too!

My backyard is beautiful, and I love it....however it has two lovely and HUGE Oak trees that shade my entire back yard. No joke...So I don't get to garden in the backyard. I converted my front yard into a garden. The problem was...in an attempt to kill the grass, poison was used on the ground (no, not by me...). I have zero desire to plant my plants in that dirt. So, you are probably thinking, how on earth did she turn her front yard into a garden then?

Answer?

Raised garden beds. I slapped down a few double layers of weed barrier, put the raised beds on top of it and then filled it with a special organic garden blend of soil that I get from a company called "Best Buy Bark" and it is located in Hillsboro, OR. Fantastic results! Each year I enrich the soil with organic compost from the same company and have gotten amazing results. But I don't just use the raised Garden beds. I also use containers. I have tiny containers and I have HUGE barrel like containers, I do what fits in my area and grow accordingly.

This years garden will include: Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas (a favorite!), Green Beans, Carrots, Tomatoes (Many types), Zucchini, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Corn and several types of Peppers, along with Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and a new addition of Elderberries!

You're probably thinking I have a HUGE front yard....I don't...I truly and honestly don't. I just make the best use of the space that I have by companion planting and square foot gardening!

Spring is in the air and I can't wait to get gardening! I'm ordering my seeds today! So tell me...what will be in your garden?
My Garden Mid-Spring 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment