Monday, February 24, 2014

Beef Spare Ribs

This is what my beef looks like. Strange to some, sure, but I also buy it by the half cow! (It is so much cheaper that way! I get steaks, roasts, ground, ribs, etc. all for under $3/lb!) So anyways, I was asked how I make my ribs, I'm a simple girl when it comes to ribs, I love them with good old BBQ sauce...which of course I make myself! 

First things first, I braise my meat. Super simple, put a little bit of olive oil, or any kind of oil really into the pan over medium high heat and give it a good quick sear. It will get a little brown to add a really good flavor to the food! Delicious!  
This is me...searing my meat. I wouldn't go more than 4 in a pan or it gets crowded in the pan and doesn't get hot enough for the quick sear.

After the sear I place them into my crock pot. I know, lazy, but it works really well to provide really tender meat. Once you get all of your meat into the crockpot I pour my home made BBQ sauce over the top of the ribs to give them a small coating, not too much because it will mix with the juices from the meat and make a nice soak for the ribs. 
This is before I cooked it, I forgot to get an after picture...sorry!

I then put the lid on and cook it low and slow. I put the crockpot on low for about 8 hours and then it is perfectly tender!

Now, for the BBQ sauce. 
You are probably thinking to yourself, why on EARTH would I make my own sauce instead of just buying some Sweet Baby Ray's? (Which by the way, is really good BBQ sauce.)
 I will tell you why...because this one is BETTER!

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com (they have some great ones on there) and of course, me being me, I was incapable of just following the instructions, so I altered the recipe after the first time making it and LOVED the results. So, I now share with you an awesome BBQ sauce recipe!

1/2 Onion minced
4 cloves Garlic, minced 
3/4 cup Whisky
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp Salt
2 cups Ketchup
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke Flavoring (can be found in the seasoning section at your local grocery store)
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 tsp Hot Sauce or to taste

Over medium heat in a large skillet combine the onion, garlic and whisky. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the onions are softened. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. If you do it the way the original recipe suggests, run it through a strainer to remove the big pieces. My way, I use an immersion blender and blend it all together to let those flavors really meld together. It is best if you let it sit in the fridge for a day or two so that the flavors can all really incorporate. (It is also safe for canning, but that is a whole other post!)  The flavors are amazing, it even had my Mom asking us to make her more of it for Christmas! *I got the Mom approval! Happy Dance!* 

As always, I hope you enjoy it and happy cooking!

By the way, if you don't know what an immersion blender is, this is similar to the one that I have and I LOVE it! This one has a few more gadgets than mine has, but hey, what am I going to do? I've been enjoying it for a couple years now, they always change things on me!


No comments:

Post a Comment